What has been happening with the garden so far this summer? Check out our latest video below!
Overall Progress Results
- Long, wet spring and summer meant everything has been super delayed and/or stunted
- SLUGS. They are a huge problem this year.
- The deer are always annoying but there is less for them to eat, so I haven’t seen them around as much.
- Used a different type of soil and it is pretty awful. We had a soil with some sort of marine influence and the seeds loved it. Switched to a different topsoil and everything said NOPE! So frustrating because it is difficult to get soil from the store to my house.
- Had a hard time getting peppers to go, but was able to grow 3 jalapeno plants and 1 Chinese red pepper
- Cucumbers and pumpkin did fine until they went outside. I hardened them off for about a week but I suppose it wasn’t enough.
- Got some new blooms for the first time!
So, I’m not super thrilled but things could be worse. I am hoping now for more of a fall/winter root veggie crop. The rutabaga look good and I have carrots, parsnips, and beets planted. Here’s hoping we can get a bit of a bounty later. 🙂